Phentermine is a not a magical weight loss pill that does not cause any side effects. The stimulant medication suppresses the appetite, and keeps you more focused and active. As with taking any drug, it is quite common to experience some form of side effects. This does not mean that you have the stop taking Phentermine right away. Instead, some of the common adverse effects can be managed easily or are likely to wear off quickly. Some of these effects occur when your body gets adjusted to the medication. If you have any concerns about the symptoms that you are experiencing, simply consult with your healthcare provider on the same. Abruptly halting the amphetamine-like Phentermine is likely to cause withdrawal side effects, which are better avoided.
Common Phentermine side effects and how to manage them
If you experience any of the common Phentermine side effects, read on to know how you can reduce the symptoms.
- Insomnia – The stimulant nature of Phentermine is likely that it would interfere with your sleep. This is especially so for people who easily react to caffeine. It is important to take the diet medication as early in the day as possible to avoid the stimulant effect lasting till bedtime. If you are finding it difficult to fall asleep, simply incorporate measures like setting the ambience, taking a warm bath, listening to soothing music or avoiding gadgets before bedtime to enable good sleep.
- Nausea – This can occur due to the changes in appetite and also dehydration. Consume more liquids, preferably water, to make the nausea go away. Having some herbal tea that contains ginger would also help to relieve you of this symptom.
- Dry mouth – Experiencing dryness in the mouth is a very common symptom that can be managed by drinking plenty of water. Make sure that you drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water in a day. You can also opt for water-rich fruits to satiate the uncontrollable thirst that you may feel. Avoid consuming energy drinks or soft drinks.
- Dizziness – Feeling dizzy while using Phentermine is also quite common because of the stimulant nature of the weight loss medication. Ensure that you hydrate well and also the right foods without skipping meals. Balance the meals so that you have at least four to five in a day, even though the appetite is low.
- Constipation – If the drug makes you feel constipated, it means that you have to consume a lot of liquids to aid the digestion. Water is the best drink to reach out for at all times. Improve the meals by including lots of vegetables and protein, along with healthy foods containing fiber.